As interior house painters in Philadelphia, we know how a new coat of paint can refresh the appearance of a home in a short period of time. Whether you are about to sell your house or want to update your rooms, you may be interested in painting the interior of your home. Before you start looking for painting contractors in your area, you want to have an idea of the investment you will need to make. How much will it cost to paint the interior of your house?
Here is a breakdown of the average costs of painting a home interior by square footage. We’ve also included a few tips for saving on house interior painting.
Average Costs of House Interior Painting by Professionals
In a quest to cut corners and save money, many homeowners attempt to paint their homes’ walls, trim, and ceiling themselves. However, they do not realize how big of a task this is, and they end up with a huge mess on their hands. In the end, the majority of these people end up hiring professional painters. If they had requested the help of contractors in the first place, they could have saved themselves money and headaches.
The average cost to have professionals paint your home’s interior is $1.50 to $3.50 per square foot. This price does not include the price of painting the ceiling or trim. If you decide to have a room’s ceiling or trim painted, you can expect the price to increase to $3 or $4 per square foot.
The final square footage price is based on your home’s size and general layout. Several other factors determine the cost of your interior painting, which we will discuss next.
Factors That Determine Home Interior Painting Costs
According to HomeAdvisor, the interior of a 2,300 square foot house can be painted for anywhere from $1,900 to $7,800. Why is there such a big difference between these average costs? Well, several factors play a role in determining the final price of a paint job. Some of these factors include:
- Wall Height: The taller the walls and the higher the ceiling, the more the paint job will cost.
- Location: The region where your home is located determines local labor and material costs.
- Repairs: If there are blemishes or holes in the walls, it will cost more for the painters to fix these issues.
- Changing Colors: If you want to change the color of a room, the painters may charge more because this job may require primer, an undercoat, and extra coats of paint.
- Special Effects: Textured paint, designer paint, and wall designs will cost more because these are considered custom paint jobs.
- Prep Work: You will be paying for the painting contractor’s time. This means the more prep work they have to do, the more the interior painting costs will be. You can take care of removing items from the walls, laying drop cloths, and taping baseboards yourself.
How to Save on Home Interior Painting
It can feel daunting to pay for a paint job from professional painting contractors, but the investment is well worth every penny. They’ll get the painting job done right the first time and can answer any of your paint-related questions, including “Which paint should I use in my bathroom?” and “What color is best for garage walls?”
While it pays to work with a painting company, there are still a few tricks you can use to save money on painting:
- If the ceilings, trim, and baseboards are in good condition, do not worry about painting them.
- Critically think about whether you need textured paint or major color changes.
- Let the contractor buy the paint because they can usually get it at a discounted price.
- Prep the room(s) yourself before the painter arrives.
- Cleanup yourself after the painter finishes.
These money-saving tricks will allow you to have a beautifully painted home at a more manageable price.
Spice Up Your Home with Interior Painting
Homes practically look brand new when the walls and ceilings have been painted in a fresh coat of paint. If you’re thinking about renovating your home, be sure to budget for a paint job from a painting company. You can research interior home painting calculators online to get an idea of the average cost of an interior painting job in your area. Within no time, you will have a gorgeous home at an affordable price.
If you’re interested in discussing your home interior painting needs with an award-winning painting company in Philadelphia, contact Matthew Painting Pups today!